He married a young local French Creole girl from the Rostant clan. He employed dozens of indentured Indian labourers and retrofitted the ancient factory shell with modern machinery, including vacuum pans for manufacturing crystals.
Located in the western section of Port-of-Spain, the capital of Trinidad, this community is best defined by its extremities: East - Colville Street (Lapeyrouse Cemetery); West - the Maraval River; North - Tragarete Road (the Queen's Park Oval); and South - Wrightson Road.
It has 32 streets, with two roads and one avenue that connect it to the other parts of the city.
A small estate office was erected in 1907 to collect land rents and is still to be seen on the southwestern corner below Murray Street playground, the site of the old sugar factory.
Streets were laid out which reflected the Siegert family-Carlos, Alfredo, Rosalino, Ana, Petra and Alberto.
This was a dish of Amerindian origin constituting the poisonous juice of bitter cassava (cassareep) infused with pepper (capsicum) and herbs to defuse its toxicity, stewed with meat and vegetables.
Pepperpot was an essential food in times before refrigeration, as the cassareep possessed preservative properties and thus the stew, if kept going over a slow fire, could literally keep edible for years, with the addition of fresh ingredients periodically.
"Woodbrook is best known today as being the liming capital of the island.
There is little reminder of the old days save the sprawling mass of Lapeyrouse Cemetery and the names of the streets.
These were for the local market, since they were cheap and popular, being essential as "browning" in creole cooking and as a key component of the cuisine of the many Venezuelans who were settling in the city at the point in time.
Speaking of food, Woodbrook was famous for its pepperpot.
The lots were snapped up since there was a new respectability in the area.