The Worcester factory was able to engage the services of excellent artists and some of the finest porcelain was produced there.Royal patronage was added, firstly by king George III in 1789 and has been continually reviewed and renewed with each change of monarch. The factory continued producing mainly tableware during the nineteenth century and a few figurines were introduced, mostly by James Hadley.The basic marking system for Royal Worcester originated in 1862, the crowned crest of four linked Ws.
The resultant casts are removed from the moulds assembled using more liquid slip and the rough edges smoothed away.
Several moulds can be used to make up a complicated piece.i) Hand Painting; painters worked in two sections, the senior department where all the free hand painting of scenes and fruit take place and the ornament department where the painting of figures to the original modellers standard.ii) Printing; early designs were engraved on a copper plate and transferred onto tissue paper which was positioned on the object and then fired.
The Limited Editions designed and modelled by Miss Lindner reached the height of popularity in the1960's.
Based in the Cotswolds, she worked untiringly until she was over 80 years old.
It was during this period that new modellers were brought in, many of them freelance artists, and from then on Worcester porcelain saw a revival to it's heydays of the eighteenth century.
Production at the Royal Worcester works on the Severn ceased in 2006 and the factory finally closed in 2009.
Although manufacturing methods have changed very little since the eighteenth century, semi automation for most of these processes has taken over.
Slip casting: Objects such as teapots, vases, jugs and figures are made by pouring slip into plaster of paris moulds.
The river was essential for transporting both production materials and wares.
Having gained a reputation for producing quality tableware, Worcester flourished under the guideance of a series of owners.
Her figures were modelled from children who used to play in the garden of her home in Kent which she shared with her elder sister Dorothy.